Monday 16 May 2011

Final Piece

Final Piece


This installation is x3 light boxes with resin windows; 
this is a post-memory piece about cancer. 


This semester I really took the brief of time and memory on board and chose to work with my personal memory. My personal memory is quite recent, only happening 1-2 years ago I had to see my mum go through the pain of breast cancer; this was still a sensitive subject for me but that made it more interesting to see in what way I would represent this memory.


As I experimented with different materials to use with my perception of cancer, I came up with black powder that when set in resin showed through as a ‘black mass’; this idea was also used in visiting artist Rachel Goodyear. My interpretation of her ‘black mass’ was a negative energy that consumed everything and that’s how I can view cancer. It wasn’t me that had cancer but I had to watch it consume my Mother and have her go through chemotherapy.





Putting my light boxes together...
they are roughly a meter tall and have x9 cut-out windows in which I will show the stages of healing through breast cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment